Tuesday

Roland Moriarty: Photographer Spotlight!

I had the pleasure of working with the EXTREMELY talented and gifted Roland Moriarty recently, and damn was I impressed! I am so fortunate to get to work with such exceptionally creative minds in my field of business. It is so cool to meet other individuals who share the same love of EVERYTHING about the entertainment industry- modeling, makeup, creating art, creating "stars"... I had such a blast getting to know Roland and creating some beautiful images with him... I thought I would sit him down and pick his brain about all things photography, makeup, and modeling.... Enjoy! 

First things first.. how did you get your start in photography?

I started back in the days when images were captured on film, there was something so exciting about the mystery of how the light would dance on the film, the anticipation of seeing the finished product would create a level of excitement that was uncontainable - it was like a kid waiting to open up a present on Christmas morning. This matured into a point where it blended with my involvement with the music industry, I realized that musicians needed good quality and captivating images to convey themselves and their talent properly. It grew into a love of capturing the spirit of the moment and the essence of the individual.


What inspires you to create the beautiful images that you take?

It comes from everything around me, inspiration can come from anywhere... a location, a person, a texture. I also gather inspiration from fellow artists- makeup artists, hairstylists, models- we work together to create these images that we see in our mind. Its like I keep a database of images or concepts in my head, and certain things bring them to the forefront. I love finding the beauty within the person I'm shooting, making someone feel beautiful and more confident is an innate reward from doing the work that I do...

What do you look for in potential new models?

The first thing that catches me about models is their eyes... the second, is their personality- because if they posses a great personality, it intrigues me to the point where I am drawn to get them in front of my camera to unlock the beauty within... I have found that the most "beautiful" model can become instantly unattractive from a poor attitude, and crush any desire to work with them. I like interesting or unique features on a model, and beauty that is so intense that its haunting.... 

Whats a rookie mistake that potential models make?

There are a few basic principles that should be adhered to by anyone aspiring to be in the modeling or entertainment field- number one in my book is punctuality. When you have a whole group of people waiting on a model to show up it is inexcusable, being on time is extremely important in this industry. Next, keep your comp card up to date! Make sure that the images you are sending out are how you currently look! You need to learn and perfect your craft, its not about just standing there and looking pretty, you have to work on your poses, your posture, your expression, your angles... its your job to give the photographer what they are looking for by being able to give a variety of looks. 

What do you shoot with?

Nikon D700. Preferred lens for fashion is the Sigma 85 1.4. If I'm shooting editorial I use the Nikon 24-70 2.8.

Did you have fun working with me, Johnny D, on our first adventure together the other day? :)

I did! I have had the opportunity to work with a variety of makeup artists from all over the world, and for me, I was looking for someone who has the ability to create a masterpiece that I can capture. The pressure of creating a masterpiece in a timely fashion is seldom achieved in the industry, to have found someone who can create a multitude of looks in a short period of time, and tie that in with hair, as well as the ability to model, is a win-win in my book! Plus, as I said earlier, great attitudes are paramount to a successful career in this industry, and John Dye exceeded all of my expectations...

Thank you so much Roland for asking me to work with you! You are a great photographer, but more importantly, you're a great person :)

Be sure to check out Roland's website : rolandmoriarty.com
Facebook : https://www.facebook.com/Rolandmoriartyphotographs

JD


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...